The most dreadful thought for any author is to find out grammatical or spelling mistakes in his manuscript. Small silly mistakes can actually drain away the charm of any good story, hence it is highly recommended that the document should undergo a through proofreading before it can be considered ready for printing.
The essential elements of poof reading
The following elements needs to be incorporated when you are doing proof reading of your script
- Spelling mistakes
- Grammatical errors
- Phrases & Key terms
The need for proof reading
- Proofreading helps you to determine the flow of your script and keeps a tab of all the essential elements to be included in your writing
- It helps you to assess your work and gives you the leverage of adding essential components and removing the unessential ones
- It instills a feeling of confidence and pride in your work
- It helps in making your script stand out and gain respect of your readers.
Your writing reflects your personality
It is rightly said that first impression is the last impression and the same holds for any author. Your script is the first point of contact with your reader and plays a vital role in determining whether the reader will interested in reading the whole manuscript or not. Your writing reflects your personality and your attitude towards your work. Silly mistakes, reflects carelessness and callous attitude towards your work which is intolerable for any reader. Therefore you should be very careful with what kind of image you want to portray about yourself in front of your readers. If you want to create a good impression about yourself your work should reflect your sincererity and dedication and proof reading helps you to achieve this.
Sample of Proof reading
Here is a copy of unedited manuscript
Dear Rishab I want a friend who knows how to treat girl with respect and dignity you are generous kind and mature person and not like other boys I like you and want to be your friend I am sure you also understand my feelings and accept my proposal
Now read the copy of edited manuscript
Dear Rishab, I want a friend who knows how to treat a girl with respect and dignity. You are generous, kind and mature person and you are not like other boys. I like you and want to be your friend. Iam sure you shall understand my feelings and accept my proposal.
Strategies for Proofreading
- Take a break from writing at frequent intervals and have a relook at your script with fresh perspectives
- Don’t be in a rush to finish your work. Take you own sweet time and go through your manuscript slowly and carefully
- The best way to judge your script is to read it aloud, if that is not possible at least try reading it in your mind
- Read your script backwards.
- Hire a professional
- Know your weakness and make sure to work on it
- Use a spell checker but do not be over dependant on it
Common errors in a script
- Text speak – can u 2 cum 4 dnr?
- Left out words or numbers
- Tense & Punctuation
- Ensure that your meaning is clear